Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trip to Children's Hopsital

Vin started up another cold on Sunday, which is nothing unusual since he's been averaging a cold every two weeks. (I do not exaggerate here - it's been every stinking two weeks). Then last night he began his usual wheezing, so we started his breathing treatments. Normally this works well and we end up having to give him treatments every four hours until he gets over the cold. But last night he started wheezing within an hour of his treatment. We severely underestimated the gravity of the situation and tried to push him to wait the four hours. Well, he was up all night and we thought he was just being difficult. We even scolded him when he kept getting out of bed and then we gated him in his room to cry it out. Well after about a half hour of listening to him cry I got up and took him downstairs. When I turned on the kitchen light I was frightened by what I saw. He was pale and his skin was all blotchy and his lips were slightly blue.

I gave him a breathing treatment right away and saw some improvement but not much. I called the his pediatrician as soon as they opened and they sent us over to Children's Hospital. By the time we got to Children's Vin was in pretty bad shape. They took him right back and began a hour long breathing treatment. Still no significant improvement. It ended up taking six hours and multiple treatments in order for him to get back to decent breathing shape.

They ended up discharging us around 5:oo. We just got home and he is wheezing again. Grr... Hopefully, we will not have a repeat of last night or it's right back to Children's for us.
Poor little dude. I guess the good news for him is that we are officially out of denial now and have fully accepted that he is an asthmatic. Though he was diagnosed in May we haven't put him on the daily steroid they wanted us to put him on because we really didn’t like the idea of it. So we were just treating his wheezing on a needs basis only. But the doctor at Children's gave us a good talking to today. We feel like we have a much better understanding of why he needs to go on the steroid and how the inhaled steroid is very different from typical systemic steroids.
We are all tired but Vin handled it all like a champ. Even when his parents, unaware of how much he was struggling to breath, scolded him in the middle of the night for not sleeping. Oops. This parenting stuff can be tough sometimes.
Here is a pic I took with my phone while at the hospital. This was the first time he was able to fall asleep and stay asleep since 2:00 a.m. He looked so peaceful I snapped a shot and then sent it to Jason at work so he could see Vin was doing better. Ja was able to come over to the hospital later in the afternoon. Vin was so excited to wake up and see his Daddy there. It was the first time he smiled while at the hospital.

5 comments:

Autumn said...

Awwww, poor Vin. What a scary night / day! And you too, what a scary experience. I'm so glad he's feeling better and that you feel confident in the treatments you are going to give. What a precious picture you captured. I'm soo glad he finally got some rest.

No kidding this parenting thing is tough. I guess that's the joy of being a first born- they get to break their inexperienced parents in.

Wow, I'm so impressed you had the energy to update the blog. Thank you for filling us in on your hard day. I really hope you don't have a repeat ~ You guys are in my prayers tonight.

love ya!
tum

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! This must be so heart breaking for you but I know you are both strong parents and little Vin is a fighter too. We love you and miss you lots. I am happy to hear he is better and you can get some peace and rest...for now. Another baby on the way too! These are life's little joys not stresses. Keep up the faith and it will get you through all these stages. We are praying for you and I hope you are all well. Thanks for the update on the blog. I look forward to it everyday even though I haven't written on it all the time. I check it everyday!!!! :) Love you and God Bless. xoxox, The Sprague's

Momofboys said...

ohhh precious baby! And don't feel bad Dianna we all have to make choices as mothers and it's difficult to know exactly what to do all the time! Hang in there and I hope he continues to get better:)

Flood Family said...

I have done the same thing with our kids in the middle of the night. I have ignored them because we were so tired and frustrated only to find out one of them had a rippin' rash or was in pain due to formula allergies. Glad you guys are doing better, and we'll keep Vin in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

MAN! I'm so sorry to read about all of this!! Poor little man.. and poor mamma dealing with all this craziness @ 9 months pregant!! So sorry, sis. I think I my hurt most when I could feel 'the big surprise' coming after you finally went to get up with him. Man! that is the worst, isn't it? As the other moms have expressed we ALL do it... I allowed one of my girls to fall back to sleep in a crib with puke in it- okay?!?!? How disgusting is that!!! It's just so hard to know what direction to go in with these little people sometimes!! Thank God that He fills in for us so often! His hand was upon Vin that night...keeping him safe till you got the help necessary. So glad he's doing better and pray this is all figured out before his little brother arrives:) Love ya, Andrea