Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Accidental Rollover and Tummy Time Issues...

So I don't have a pic for this post but was so excited to share that Vin flipped over from his back to his stomach Saturday morning. We heard him crying on the monitor and Jason found him face down in the crib, it was exciting and disturbing at the same time. Disturbing because the child has absolutely no desire to keep his face off the ground while on his stomach.

I think we are still far from him being able to rollover on a regular or purposeful basis but this accidental rollover has got me working feverishly with him on his tummy time skills. He has the neck strength to hold his head up while on his tummy, as we have seen him do it on rare occasions, but he normally gets angry and decides it is better to put his face straight down on the ground and then cry about it.

I try enticing him to look up by lying down in front of him and using a toy to get his attention. No go. He actually looks away from me and the toy. It just seems he has his mind made up that he hates being on his stomach and would rather suffocate himself than give it a try. Any advice??

My goodness this text is huge. It looks hilarious.

3 comments:

Autumn said...

heee heee! A real stomach roll! That's huge! He doesn't know his own strength yet. :)

I can totally relate to the beginning tummy time woes. Ada hated it and would just cry when I put her on her tummy. Then one day she decided on her own- hmmm this isn't sooo bad...

As far as advice... I'd say just try to do it a couple times a day- even though it's such a pain right now. Don't be dissapointed if he's not liking change. Change is hard- even for us big folks. I think you are doing a great job by getting on the floor with him during this time. Keep up the good work!

jdangello said...

Thanks Tum! I'm going to keep pushing on with the tummy time. Yesterday, during his Gymboree class he did his tummy time with no complaint. I'm not saying he "enjoyed it" but he kept his head up and was looking around at the other babies. He was just so fascinated by them. I can't wait for him to meet Ada!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, yes, when he meets Ada, the violin music will swell, and the birds will sing, and it will be all gurgles and cooos - and perhaps a poof or two :-D

Can't wait as well! Two babies in the house plus my two favorite girls - zippy and zoozoo!!! Let the good times roll....

Love & hugs, MommaGum